Sure, you can go online and Google all you can about the dentist that you want to use, know where they went to school or maybe even know what offices they worked at previously. But there are other signs to look for when choosing the best dentist.
Here are the top 10 habits of great dentists:
10. Personal touch- Everyone calls you by your name and makes you feel important.
9. Good listeners- Dentist and staff really listen to your needs.
8. Eye contact-The dentist looks into your eyes when talking to you…not at a file or his computer.
7. They keep you on time. After all, your time is just as valuable as the doctor’s.
6. The staff is positive, energetic, and engaged.
5. Team approach- The dentist doesn’t try to be everything to you, on the contrary, he or she makes referrals to trusted specialists as appropriate.
4. Evening check up- The dentist calls you personally after a particularly long or involved procedure, to see how you are doing.
3. Honest and transparent dialogue- The dentist doesn’t try to sell you his services; rather, he or she listens to your needs and educates you about all the possibilities…no surprises!
2. Current and informed- The dentist regularly takes continuing education courses and seminars to stay current to provide the best possible care (not just to get credits for a license renewal).
Finally, the #1 sign to know that you have a great dentist is personal reviews from other patients and colleagues. So ask the office for patient testimonials, visit the website to read comments from previous clients, and ask other doctors you trust who they see for their dental needs.
Experience speaks volumes about any business, and dentistry is no different. If your dentist gets excellent reviews and your experience is just as positive, then smile — you’ve found a dentist you’ll love!