Home Care for Jaw Bone Fractures
Home care instructions for jaw fracture:
- Keep ice on face for 24 hours
- Antibiotic ointment or Vaseline on your lips
- Oral rinses with salt water every 2 hours for 14 days
If your jaws are wired:
- Wire cutter: Keep a wire cutter with you at all times. This is only for use by medical professionals in case of an emergency. Do not cut your wires.
- Cleaning your teeth: Use a baby brush to clean around the wires at least three times a day.
- Diet: You will be on strict liquid diet. High carbohydrate, high protein shakes are great. You can purchase Ensure diet supplements or various protein shakes at your local pharmacy. It is important that you keep hydrated. You can also place anything you want in a blender and make a shake. You may use a straw to drink.
- In case of vomiting, do not panic. Simply lean forward and allow the gastric content to come out of your mouth. There is plenty of spaces between teeth in the back to allow the contents to come out. Do not cut your wire. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- If your wires become loose, call us immediately. They need to be tightened to keep the fracture sites stable and healing well.
- For irritation of lips or cheeks from the wires you may apply wax (available at any pharmacy).
- Medications: Take your antibiotics until finished and pain medication as needed. They both are prescribed in liquid form.