About PLatelet Rich Fibrin Therapy
A BIOLOGICAL DRESSING FOR BETTER AND FASTER HEALING
IDEAL FOR TEETH EXTRACTIONS, WISDOM TEETH, DENTAL IMPLANTS, BONE GRAFTING, AND BIOPSY PROCEDURES
PRF is a fibrin clot with high concentration of platelets and white blood cells. This fibrin clot will gradually release growth factors which stimulates tissue regeneration, promotes angiogenesis, stimulates cell migration, and increases cell proliferation
…. LEADS TO ACCELERATED SOFT TISSUE AND BONE HEALING
The concept of PRF (Platelet Rich Fibrin) is based on the centrifugation of whole blood without anticoagulants. (J. Choukroun et al. 2001). At the end of the spin, a fibrin clot containing the majority of the platelets and white blood cells is obtained. This fibrin clot called Platelet Riche Fibrin or PRF will release gradually and growth factors or cytokines in the site (VEGF, PDGF, TGF Beta, Thrombospondin. The expected objective of these growth factors is to accelerate the soft tissue and bone healing. Numerous international publications are available and demonstrate the effectiveness of PRF in many indications: oral surgery (implants, bone grafting, periodontal surgery, extractions, etc…), Orthopedic, cosmetic and dermatological surgery.
How It is Done & Steps
The preparation of PRF takes about 5 minutes and is done chair-side at time of the procedure.
- Several tubes of blood are drawn at time of procedure
- The tubes are centrifuged right away to create a Platelet concentrate
- The platelet-rich fibrin is prepared
- The platelet-rich fibrin is used in two forms:
- Added to bone graft material to create a bone-PRF complex (i.e. Sticky Bone)
- PRF membranes created to cover bone graft, surgical site, or wound with gum tissue or mucosal tissue over it.