Specialized Dental Implant Care
Dental implants require regular maintenance and proper home care for optimal success. Our implant care practitioner, collaborating closely with the surgeon and your restorative dentist, provides advanced dental hygiene education, treatments, and an effective home care regimen to achieve long-term health.
The Implant Care Practitioner is a registered dental hygienist with the highest level of implant knowledge, training and hands on experience to maintain the health of teeth and implants as well as treat patients with periodontal or peri-implant disease.
Schedule your appointment today with our implant care practitioner and get the type of specialized care you need to keep teeth and implants healthy and pain-free.
Implant Care Services
Dental implants are not teeth and, therefore, require different diagnostic and maintenance techniques from natural teeth. Our services include:
- Standard dental hygiene: Designed for patients with either healthy teeth and implants who need basic hygiene services or for those with history or active periodontal or implant disease who need more advanced hygiene care.
- Implant Care Practitioner: Designed for patients with dental implants whether completely healthy requiring basic hygiene and maintenance or with active peri-implant disease (inflammation, bone loss, etc) requiring more advanced hygiene interventions
- Home care hygiene instructions and recommendations: Based on your individual needs, we’ll provide you with an effective and customized home care regimen and recommend specific products that will be of benefit in keeping your teeth and implants healthy
Depending on the needs of the individual, the implant care practitioner offers a non-surgical therapeutic approach to peri-implant and periodontal diseases through the adjunctive use of:
- Diode Laser Therapy: the use of laser science in conjunction with traditional procedures to aid in the reduction of pathogenic bacteria and maintenance of periodontal tissue.
- Periodontal Endoscopy: a miniature endoscope that magnifies tooth and implant anatomy allowing for the visualization of deposits deep underneath the gum aiding in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases with a minimally invasive technique
- Guided Biofilm Therapy: powder streaming techniques with glycine powder have shown to be clinically effective in the removal of plaque bio-film from any implant surface and more efficient stain removal for natural teeth.
Oral Hygiene Instructional Videos
Your home care regimen should be specific to your dental needs. We only recommend the highest quality brushes and products specifically designed for the patient with dental implants. This includes a variety of specialty brushes, the use of hydromagnetic oral irrigation, and electric toothbrushes.
In this video, we review important home care and hygiene instructions for all dental implant case types.
Shevonne Healy, RDH, BSDH
Shavonne Healy has made remarkable contributions to the field of dental hygiene as a clinician, change agent, educator, writer, researcher and innovator. As a 2006 graduate of Fones School of Dental Hygiene, Shavonne’s educational foundation was built by world-class professors who instilled the importance of being a member of her professional association the
American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA), continuing education and advanced degree completion. Over the past 12 years she has served in many different roles for ADHA such as, a 2017-2018 delegate and her current role as President of the District of Columbia Dental Hygienists’ Association. Furthermore, Shavonne is a leader within her operatory through the extensive clinical care she provides her patients, her commitment to lifelong learning and the fearless ways she blazes trails within the dental hygiene profession.
In 2016, Shavonne co-founded RDH Innovations, LLC with the mission to integrate dental hygienists into oral surgery as Implant Care Practitioners. This new role for the dental hygienist will improve patient care with the specialized knowledge required to maintain long term healthy outcomes for the dental implant patient population.Through these efforts she is breaking the boundaries of the traditional clinical dental hygiene setting practicing as an Implant Care Practitioner at Kazemi Oral Surgery & Dental Implants . Her experience in treating this specialized patient population coupled with her extensive dental implant knowledge has solidified her as an expert in the dental implant community. Shavonne co-manages Dental Implants Uncovered Study Group, a social media platform for dental hygienists to share dental implant questions, experience and cases to improve our profession’s knowledge base of implant dentistry. This forum has international engagement and many of the dental hygienists who are members have expressed how this medium has helped advance their dental implant knowledge and improve their patient care.
Shavonne is a graduate student at University of Bridgeport: Fones School of Dental Hygiene where she is helping to develop curriculum for a graduate program in support of the Implant Care Practitioner. Passionate about continuing education and leadership, she takes pride in not only educating her patients about the importance of a healthy mouth, but whole body wellness. Her mission is to inspire others to be limitless and take charge of their roles as professionals in health care!